Showcase Judging Criteria: Best Story
The out-of-province Best Story category is adjudicated by a carefully selected jury of three industry professionals. Judges must have substantial work experience relevant to the category being judged, as well as meeting one or more of the following criteria:
- Currently or previously employed in the periodical industry
- Currently or previously employed in a related field, including but not limited to journalism professors at the post-secondary level, individuals working as freelance writers, photographers, illustrators and editorial designers
- Possessing experience as a judge in a comparable awards program
- Have expertise as a past winner or finalist in a comparable awards program
Judges receive written instructions and an explanation of the judging process and the scoring procedure. Judges are responsible for the selection of finalists by first working individually to evaluate and score the entries. In the event that no clear Gold and Silver winner emerges from the aggregated scores, judges proceed to a second round, via a moderated conference call, to determine finalists and silver and gold winners. The judges’ decision is final.
Achievement Category Judging Criteria: BC / Manitoba / Saskatchewan Magazine of the Year
The judging committee is made up of industry professionals, individuals from the AMPA Board of Directors, and/or previous Achievement Award winners.
Judges are responsible for identifying the magazine in each Western province that best exemplifies overall editorial and design excellence in 2020. The award goes to the magazine which best demonstrates consistently high standards in all aspects of editorial content, exhibits innovation and provides service to its intended readers, as evaluated based on the criteria below:
- Quality of editorial content
- Qualify of design
- Demonstrates significant achievement this past year
- Engages and serves the needs of its readers